Our church is Norman from late 12th and early 13th Century. The tower is 14th Century with the spire being added in the 15th Century. The font is Norman. The clock in the tower was installed in 1921 and is a memorial to all those who died in the First World War. It was chosen and paid for by the residents of the village at the time. The carved pulpit was also installed as a WW1 memorial .
Wander through the churchyard and find the grave of Rev. Dr William Pearson 1767-1847 who was the co-founder of the Royal Astronomical Society. He lived at the Rectory beside the church. In the graveyard seek out the many interesting inscriptions on the gravestones and learn about old South Kilworth families.
The church has been restored a number of times and was largely rebuilt in 1868-1869 but still contains lovely Norman arches, some late medieval carvings and a tomb.
For a much more detailed history of the building there is a leaflet on the information table inside the church.
St Nicolas’ is currently open each Sunday and Wednesday usually from 11am to 4pm.
The building is beautiful and is very much a central feature of the community.
Everyone is most welcome, please do wander in and enjoy the peace of this historic and tranquil place. There is no better place to reflect on the hopes and fears of life, the state of the world and the passage of time, or to remember loved ones who are no longer here.
The Parochial Church Council (PCC) is made up of a group of people in the village who have a strong desire to preserve the church building and grounds as an important asset for the village and for future generations. We would very much like to hear from you if you have any ideas concerning the future use of the church for local events. Contact any member of the PCC who will be happy to help. We are a member of the Avon Swift Benefice within the Diocese of Leicester.
Mon, Wed & Fri 09:30-12:30
EG: weddings and baptisms